Friday, May 16, 2008

A Fond Memory from just a Song




I just love the goat in this video. If you know anything about me at all, you'll understand why. I am notorious for making up songs about anything!! My husband has personally been driven out of his mind on long road trips with the songs I make up about places we are going, or places we have been. He tells me to " take a nap" just so he won't have to listen to them!! It's hilarious!! If I am being truly honest about the whole situation, I love to annoy him with them!! When he saw this video, he went " Oh Lord, It's like taking a road trip with my wife, only you can mute the video!! lol lol I get tickled just thinking about it.


I received this gift from the master himself.... The One.... The Only... Claude W Riffle. He was my grandpa who I dearly loved & remember fondly. My grandpa had a heart condition, so he wasn't able to be active with us grandkids. Granted for fun he would take us to the LCHS Football field when we ( my cousins Shelby, Sara & I) were kids & swing us around using a broom handle on a pair of plastic roller skates that hooked to our shoes for about a $1.oo from the local thrift store. As you picture this, may I add that it was on blacktop, so we used to hold on for dear life as we cackled laughing & screaming for him to quit spinning so fast because we couldn't hold on & would end up scraping the heck out of our knees & hips when we let go!! Today in our society, they would call it child abuse, but back then it was entertainment!! We loved it so much that we would beg him to take us every chance we got.. He used to have to buy us new skates everytime we went because the blacktop would wear the plastic wheels out after just a few times. I wouldn't trade those memories for a million dollars!! I think about him often.


Anyway, back to the original story. He had a heart condition & wasn't very active. For fun I remember sitting with him under a big oak tree in the back yard of his house & listening to him make up songs about " the little birdie up in the tree". He would sing a made up song about "Bimbo", who was a little boy that rode on a bike in his underware. Bimbo was going up the rode to see his little girlie-o". lol lol lol


Just talking about this, I am wiping my watering eyes because I am laughing so hard.


We would be in church & there was this song called " I wouldn't take nothing for my journey now" & he would be back there singing ( to the top of his lungs) " Oh I wouldn't take nothing for my Jersey Cow!!! My grandma would turn red from embarrassment & slap him on the arm to try to get him to be quiet, but that just made it worse, because he would only sing louder!!


I learned to make " Rhyming Songs " up from him. He was the master!!


I hope you enjoy this song, because it sounds like something he would have written & sang.


Capt'n, you know I speak the truth & could probably share a few songs he made up as well!! He was truly one of a kind!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rock on !!!