Monday, March 24, 2008

Choices

Robert Frost (1874–1963). Mountain Interval. 1920.

1. The Road Not Taken


TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;
5

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,
10

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.
15

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I have this poem hanging on the corkboard above my desk. There are days that I wouldn't even know it's there, and then there are days that I just lose myself in its conotation. Choices are all around us. It's almost as unnoticable as the air that we breathe. We make unconscience choices all the time. Some are good, some are bad, but they are choices.
Choices must be respected. Even though we may not understand them. Maybe the choices one makes aren't exactly what others would do in the same situation, but at the time they mean something to that person.
Ever wonder what the world would be like if we could take back all the choices that we deemed bad in our lives? Everything would be completely different. There would be no mistakes, because we could go back & erase them. Imagine how bland the world would be with no mistakes in it. We would never learn anything by experience be it great or small. We would never have personal success or achieve anything if we always went by the rules. I'm not saying that we should make bad decisions, or end up doing things to harm ourselves, but if everybody did the same thing, it sure would be bland.
I appreciate everyday living in a country where we can make choices. I'll be the first to admit that I have made many blunders. There were times in my life that it felt unbearable to breathe due to the decisions I had made. But experience being the best teacher, I have learned what works for me & what doesn't. I have the opportunity to be whatever I want to be. I simply love that. I'll admit that I can be stubborn when it comes to some circumstances but whatever I do, I know that I made the choice to do it. No one can take that away from me.
-And I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference!!!!
Captain Jive... by the way.. I think the choices you have made are wonderful!!

1 comment:

Kris said...

OK, I have to tell you that you outed me with my knickname with Joe!